Home » Big Second Halves See Movement in the BBL Championship Table

Big Second Halves See Movement in the BBL Championship Table

BBL Championship

Newcastle Eagles 91-78 Surrey Scorchers (19-31, 38-46, 68-59)
(Eagles – Morsell 22, Aded-Hussein 18, Glasgow 17; Scorchers – Cook 19, Bryan-Amaning 17, White 17)

Plymouth Raiders 74-77 Cheshire Phoenix (19-16, 45-37, 58-53)
(Raiders – Hassan 21, Scott 19, Wilcher 17; Phoenix – Jackson-Cartwright 29, Hayes 13, Sayers 9)

Worcester Wolves 88-85 Bristol Flyers (28-15, 45-33, 58-51, 70-70, 80-80)
(Wolves – Hughes 18, Van Sauers 15, Edwards 14; Flyers – Thomas 21, Bradley 17, Thomas-Edwards 15)
After Double Overtime.

The winners of Friday night’s three BBL Championship games all made upward progress in the table after some big second half comebacks, resulting in a reshuffle in the top four and a key result in the Play-off race.

The M5 derby between Worcester Wolves and Bristol Flyers – a replay of January’s BBL Cup Final – went to double overtime, with Wolves prevailing 88-85 as Mark Hughes hit 18 points, including some big late three-pointers.

Wolves led by as many as 15 in the second half, but were forced into an extra period after a late run, before they themselves had to score five of the last six points in the final 20 seconds of the first overtime to tie the game at 80 on a Cortez Edwards bucket.

The decisive period was broken open when Wolves scored seven in a row, capped by a deep three-pointer from Hughes on the shot clock buzzer, to make the score 88-82 inside the last 30 seconds.

They are joined for a share of third place by Newcastle Eagles after they beat Surrey Scorchers 91-78, with Mike Morsell scoring 22 points and Sade Aded-Hussein adding a double-double of 18 and 12 rebounds.

Eagles had lost two of their last three and quickly found themselves in a double-figure hole, 31-19 down after ten minutes. But a huge second half opened with a 20-5 surge in just four minutes as Rodney Glasgow hit nine points in that run, and Eagles never looked back after a Nick Schlitzer triple put them up double-figures at 66-56.

Finally, Cheshire Phoenix mounted a huge fourth quarter fightback to beat Plymouth Raiders 77-74 on the road and bounce back from consecutive losses, moving up to sixth in the table.

Phoenix trailed by double-digits for long spells, but a 17-5 spell in the fourth tied the game heading into the last two minutes as Parker-Jackson Cartwright hit a trio of late three-pointers en route to a game-leading 29 points, and Demonte Flannigan scored the last four points of the game to win it.