Home » London derby goes to Lions, Phoenix thump Raiders

London derby goes to Lions, Phoenix thump Raiders

BBL Championship

London Lions 104-89 London City Royals (21-19, 44-48, 76-66)
(Lions – Soko 32, Robinson 26, Peel 14; Royals – Jackman 20, Lucas 18, Neighbour 17)

Cheshire Phoenix 97-64 Plymouth Raiders (21-12, 45-33, 69-48)
(Phoenix – Mockford 26, Flannigan 19, Jackson-Cartwright 17; Raiders – Daniels 18, Smith 14, Ubiaro 10)

London Lions overcame London City Royals to take Sunday’s derby whilst Cheshire Phoenix picked up a home win over the visiting Plymouth Raiders.

Once again, Love Island star and GB International Ovie Soko led his side to victory, knocking down 32 points and capturing nine rebounds, likely earning himself a spot in the next All-Star Five lineup, and just one rebound off obtaining what would’ve been his third double-double since joining the Lions in December, and his second of the weekend having picked one up on Friday.

His teammate Brandon Peel managed to pick up a double-double for himself however, posting 14 points and 12 rebounds and league MVP Justin Robinson was key also to the Lions’ win, finishing with 26 points and six assists.

The Royals had a four point cushion heading into half-time but the Lions came out the locker room guns blazing into the second half, going on a 14-0 run during the third quarter to give them a comfortable 10 point lead going into the final quarter, from which the Royals couldn’t recover.

And up North, Cheshire Phoenix moved to 3-3 in the BBL Championship after they thumped the visiting Plymouth Raiders by 33 points, 97-64.

Plymouth’s troubles began early on as Phoenix opened the first quarter on an 11-0 run before the Raiders were able to get on the board but managed to begin to make a small comeback, trailing by just nine at the end of the first period.

However, backed by a duo of double-doubles from Mike Ochereobia (14 points and 12 rebounds) and Demonte Flannigan (19 points and 10 rebounds), Cheshire began to pile on the pressure and by the time the two teams entered the final period, the Nix had racked up a 21 point lead, effectively ending any chance of a Plymouth comeback and their hopes of obtaining their first Championship win.